Sunday, February 27, 2022

All By Myself: Legion of Mary, April 5, 1975 late show at the Cap, Passaic, NJ

LN jg1975-04-05.lom.late.aud-SC.147761.flac1644

Ticket stub for Legion of Mary, April 5, 1975, Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ - 11:30 PM late show
NB misspelling of "Capital". Image courtesy of gdsets.com

Very listenable audience tape with everything present. Nice show - I like everything here, even "Sitting In Limbo", which I don't always love. "Wicked Messenger" - my goodness, what a great cover. Great energy throughout, including for the public debut of Fats Domino's "All By Myself", which might think would require the boogie-woogie piano, but does just fine here with the organ.

LEGION OF MARY
Capitol Theatre
326 Monroe Street
Passaic, NJ 07055
April 5, 1975 (Saturday) - Late Show
aud shnid-147761

--late show (8 tracks, 93:49)--
t01. /Let It Rock [12:30] [0:09] %
t02. /You Can Leave Your Hat On [14:56] [0:03] %
t03. /All By Myself [6:50] [0:12] %
t04. /Last Train From Poor Valley [8:20] [0:07] %
t05. Boogie On Reggae Woman [15:50] [0:08] %
t06. /Sitting In Limbo [15:12] [0:14]
t07. /Wicked Messenger [7:12] [0:07]
t08. Talkin' 'Bout You [11:44] [0:16]

! ACT1: Legion Of Mary:
! lineup: Jerry Garcia - guitar, vocals;
! lineup: Merl Saunders - keyboards, vocals;
! lineup: John Kahn - bass;
! lineup: Martin Fierro - saxophone, flute;
! lineup: Ron Tutt - drums.

JGMF:

! Recording: symbols: % = recording discontinuity; / = clipped song; // = cut song; ... = fade in/out; # = truncated timing; [m:ss] = recorded event time. The recorded event time immediately after the song or item name is an attempt at getting the "real" time of the event. So, a timing of [m:ss] right after a song title is an attempt to say how long the song really was, as represented on this recording.


! db: https://etreedb.org/shn/147646 (same source, deprecated); https://etreedb.org/shn/147761 (this fileset)


! historic: For the two shows, LOM gets $10,000 guarantee, plus 60% over $25,000. This show 3,201 sellout for gross of $19,125.75. For the night the band earned $16,708.

! ad: Village Voice, March 31, 1975, p. 110

! ad: Village Voice, April 7, 1975, p. 104


! R: Source: Unknown AUD > 7" Reel @ 3 3/4 ips.

! R: Original Transfer: Teac A-2300S playback > Tascam DA-3000 (96k/24bit) > Samplitude Pro X3 > Flac24 (@ 96k) > ID-147646.

! R: Remaster: ID-147646 > TLH > WAV 2496 > Wavelab > R8Brain > CD-Wave > TLH FLAC 1644.

! R: seeder notes: The following changes have been made to the original files from ID-147646: - Tape speed adjustments - Aligned channels & merged to mono - Small edits around crowd noise, song transitions, & tape pauses - SRC to 16bit/44.1kHz. Most songs cut-in slightly. Thanks to everyone at LL for making this available!

! P: t01 LIR in the 6 range Garcia's guitar work is fantastic. Some years later, listening again, I still hear it. Yeah!!!! Check out the peak at 6:29. Again, ca. 6:55.

! P: t03 ABM great energy

! song: All By Myself (t03): This is understood to be the debut of this song in the Garciaverse, and it pops! It seems like such a piano song, but the organ does just fine.

! P: t05 BORW also raging. Great energy!

! R: t05 BORW cut at 10:46

! P: t06 SIL played at a langorous pace, Tutt singing harmonies. Gorgeous run early 5 gets a cheer. This is beautiful stuff.

! P: t07 Wicked Messenger my goodness do I love this. The tone and glassine picking late 4 over 5 just about kill me - daggers.

! P: t08 TBY hear Jerry come in 6:35 with great energy!

8 comments:

  1. With the help of perspective from you and others, I've come to grips with the demise of Legion of Mary, but the loss of Wicked Messenger thereby leaves me bereft and inconsolable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These last couple years I've been picking Dead years and tours and listening to them largely consecutively in their entirety. But I'm kind of running out of projects (and sort of burning out...). I can only do so many of the "Phil 1999" projects and such to cleanse the palate, I really want to dive into all the Garcia stuff I collected over the years and just let get dusty on discs and drives. I definitely have some favorite Garcia shows but don't have anywhere near the knowledge of them like Dead shows, and also like with the Dead, I rarely go above 79/80 with JGB.

    Does anyone have any recommendations on an era to do a deep dive into? I do like early 75 LOM, and I don't recall meeting a 1973 show I didnt like. What do people consider the cream of the crop of 70's Garcia solo work? The "best" place to start? I've been a Deadhead and obsessive collector and listener for 30 years, I figure it's high time I finally educate myself on the solo side of Garcia's work. I put in a lot of time and effort into collecting entire years, it's criminal to not enjoy them. Kind of a random place to drop this comment but I figure if I leave enough recommendation requests out there I'm bound to get some good suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The challenge for pre-74 is that there weren't really tours and so there aren't really groupings of shows that go together, though of course just listening chron is always an option. Tours start 11/74, 4/75, etc. I myself would just go chronological, because the early stuff is awesome, but others might suggest different approaches.

    I don't feel like that is helpful, but please do say more as needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I guess I forgot that the early years don't have tours so much as they have smatterings of shows and tapes here and there. Good idea, might as well just go chronological. All 3 decades have tons of shows I put on hard drives and dvds 10-15 years ago when I went on a Garcia collecting binge and said "some day I'll get to this stuff." I think someday has arrived.

      Delete
    2. Yeah! You have so many hours of fun listening ahead. When you hit shows I have touched on here (see http://etreedb.org/jgmf), I would love reports!

      Delete
    3. I was at this one. My first non-GD Jerry show. It was a big deal to get permission to go to a late show (I was 15). Of note, Wilbert Harrison (Kansas City, Let's Work Together) was the warm up. He played solo on acoustic guitar. - ray riescher

      Delete

!Thank you for joining the conversation!