This is out of my wheelhouse, but since it brings together two loose ends for me I thought I'd post it here.
The Sacramento Bee of 10/23/66 p. W14 has a piece on upcoming homecoming events at Cal Aggie, i.e., UC Davis.
The Grateful Dead are scheduled to play Freeborn Hall Friday 10/28/66, Yellow Brick Road also on the bill.
This ties two things I have discussed here.
First, having gone to Campolindo HS in Moraga, I always wondered why the GD canceled their scheduled gig at little St. Mary's College on this Friday night (10/28/66). I still don't know why, but at least I see that the band played a different gig. Maybe the pay was better.
Second, years back I found a Dead gig at Freeborn on January 6, 1967 which said that the last time they played Freeborn, the GD played to a full house. But there was no "last time" in the record at that point. Now there is: 10/28/66. Add it to your lists.
According to the 4-11-67 Cal Aggie, the Dead got $800 for the 10-28-66 and a nice 25% increase to $1,000 for the 1-6-67 show. There's a nice little school committee profit analysis there. http://www.gratefulseconds.com/2020/06/uc-davis-aggie-archive-hits-online-and.html?m=0
ReplyDeleteYes they did play on 10-28-1966. I graduated from Davis High School and then on to UCD. We went to all the concerts at Freeborn even in high school, my mother was a professor and got us in. My best friend at the time, Bill Moon, and I got in with two other friends, Paul Whaley and Gary Yoder. Paul and Gary went on to become professional musicians. We were glued to the front of stage left and after the concert, Gary somehow volunteered us to help load stuff in a truck.
ReplyDelete