Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Pearl's Wake

Around November 3, 1970 the Associate Press (AP) had an item in lots of papers noting that Janis Joplin had left $2,500 in her will for a big ol' celebration of her life after her passing. Invitations went out reading "The drinks are on Pearl", and it happened at the Lion's Share in San Anselmo. The AP story (e.g., in the Red Bluff Daily News, November 3, 1970, p. 8) says that the GD and other rock groups entertained.

Mastropolo 2015 puts the date of this event as 10/26/70. I don't know how he knows that, but there it is. (update: as usual, Corry was on it before I was --in this case, a decade!!-- and the date comes from his post.) He references the memoir of Janis's road manager John Byrne Cooke in saying that members of the Quick, Big Brother, and the GD formed various playing combinations, which is a little different than a GD gig per se.

As of now, I am listing this as a GD gig. I am also coding the Wales-Garcia Matrix gig advertised for this date --the latest with Howard's name on it, as far as I can recall-- as canceled. Any thoughts on that?

I also note that LIA hipped me to a canceled GD gig in Columbus, OH, between 10/24 and 10/29. Janis's wake may well account for the cancellation.

2 comments:

  1. The 10/26/70 date was confirmed here, with some details from Herb Caen in a comment:
    http://lostlivedead.blogspot.com/2009/12/november-1-or-2-1970-lions-share-san.html

    Interesting speculation that the wake caused a rescheduling of the Dead's Columbus OH show, although I have some doubts about their bumping a paying midwest gig for that reason.
    I also wonder whether Howard Wales was invited to the party. He may well have still played the Matrix!

    ReplyDelete

!Thank you for joining the conversation!