Monday, January 14, 2019

Fall '77 Gig Economics: The Case of SUNY New Paltz (JGB, 11/29/77)

Handbill for JGB at SUNY New Paltz, 11/29/77. Scan via Mark Cohen. Note that Ron Tutt is erroneously listed among the personnel.
The economics of the Garcia Band's Fall '77 tour have remained a little out of view for me, since I have never been able to track down itineraries, contracts, box office reports and all that, which I have seen for a few other trips. But a great report in the SUNY New Paltz Oracle lays them bare for one gig (11/29/77), and provides a snapshot into Garcia's rock star lifestyle of the time.

I should note that I have discussed a setlist rarity from this show (the Beatles' "Here Comes the Sun" inside the Wailers' "Stir It Up"), set forth some listening notes under the title "his voice is fading fast", and have also presented these kinds of data for a gig two years earlier ("Accounting the JGB: October 8, 1975").

The SUNY New Paltz Concert Committee brought in name talent a couple times a year for the students, drawing from student activity fees and generally running these events at a loss. But the earnest-seeming crew in place in Fall 1977, which seems to have been operating under the probably-copyright-infringing-but-totally-1977 name of "Jedi Productions", didn't plan to lose as much as they did on the Garcia Band's Tuesday night gig. For Google interest, here are the names and positions of the folks involved in putting on the show.

Kirt Madsen ... Production Manager
Eric Early ... Production Manager
Bill Dacey ... Stage Manager
Rick Markle ... Electrician
Joni White ... Talent Coordinator
Shari Berkowitz ... Tickets
Esther Friedman ... Publicity
Karen Reilly ... Hospitality
Rob Insolia ... Treasurer
Stan Wisla ... Security
Brian Higgenson ... Staging Consultant
Erica Pauling ... Secretary
Richard Someck ... Concessions
Randi Sackheim ...Programs
Debbie Golub ... Programs
Steve Martin ...General Manager
Jack Babb ... Assistant to General Manager

I would love to hear from any of them, especially Karen Reilly, who is mentioned in the narrative below.

According to the report in the school paper (Ratner 1977), the gig lost about $8,000, which is more than planned, mostly due to ticket sales of only 1,300 against a projected 2,000. But other aspects of putting the concert on probably also taught our young impresarios some valuable lessons in show biz economics. Here are the expenses.
Table xxx. Expenses for JGB at SUNY New Paltz, 11/29/77. Source: Ratner 1977.
So here we have the band at a $10k guarantee, whereas it got $12,500 at Penn State (Clifford 1977). Monarch does well on sound and lighting. But let me get to the "hospitality" line item, which generates the following data and story, a little sidebar under the heading "Garcia Serves Up New Paltz, Brings His Own Chef":
     When the Jerry Garcia Band plays a school, it usually submits a list of refreshment requirements: Freshly ground coffee (either of Sumatra, Celebes, Jamaica High Mountain, Mocha-Java, or Columbian beans); Coffee must be made via the drip method, not electric percolator; Three (3) bottles of good French red wine and one and one-half (1 ½) cases of Heineken Light beer; Four (4) quarts of orange juice – no sugar; Four (4) of bottled spring water; Bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches and good cheeseburgers; a dinner meal for fifteen …
     When they came to New Paltz, they were willing to forego the refreshment requirements. Instead; they brought their own chef, affectionately named Cy Kocis, and asked the concert committee for $600.
   "I knew things were going to be wrong when they wanted $600 in cash Tuesday morning," explained Karen Reilly, the Concert Committee's Hospitality Chief. Karen managed to knock them down to $450.
     Cy Kocis arrived at 1:30 on Tuesday; installed a four-burner stove charcoal grill and large cooler in Elting Gymnasium 101, and went to work. Filet Mignon and halibut steaks were on the dinner menu. The cooler contained a sumptuous feast for the band and its crew. Karen was there to meet the entourage. In fact, she was there since 9:00, earlier than anyone, making sure everyone experienced New Paltz's hospitality. "But when Cy Kocis gave me 4 large butternut squashes and told me to start peeling and cutting, I told him I had to get towels, or something, for the stage crew." Everyone has their limits.


Why do I imagine this merits quoting at length? I love the standard contract rider information. I knew Jerry was a coffee junkie, but I didn't know he was a coffee snob (which I count as a point in a person's favor). Good French wine pleases me, too, though not sure who of the band would most enjoy it. I guess I have Keith as good for at least a dozen of those Heinekens, but what do I know? Burgers? Definitely Jerry.

Then comes "Cy Kocis". Interesting. $600 cash is also interesting, and suspicious minds sometimes wonder whether that kind of wad might not have bought more than filet, halibut and butternut squash. I also admire the cut of Karen Reilly's jib, haggling them down to $450 and taking a pass on the vegetable peeler. She sounds awesome.

Anyway, good color.

14 comments:

  1. I love pieces like this. We tried to get the student committee at Bowdoin College in Brunswich, Maine to agree to put on a Jerry Band concert in the Fall of 1977 and even won the vote but Sally the staff woman in charge vetoed the use of most of the $10,000 budget citing "what if it snows that night?" I recall the ask from JGB was $8,100. I'll try to recall other info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! The dogs that don't bark will of course be missed in my queries - I am sure there are dozens and dozens of student entertainment bodies that deliberated over bringing Jerry in, leaving some kind of paper trail, with the gigs never coming to fruition. Those would be interesting to know about, but they are mostly out of view (unless reported in the student newspaper, for example, more of which are being digitized every day).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both your blogs, keep up the good work guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Classic.

    I wonder if "Cy Kocis" was this guy?
    https://www.registerguard.com/news/20181202/eugene-says-goodbye-to-hippie-icon-chef-chez-ray-sewell

    "Chez Ray toured with the Dead for several years in the late 1970s and early 1980s, serving as the tour chef."

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Cy Kocis name appears in many of the Passaic Capitol Theatre programs. I believe he was the chef for Monarch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cy also turns up in the 'Colgate Maroon' (11/8/77) article on the show 4 days previous, identified as the Dead's personal chef.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Specifically:
      "The group came with a full entourage which included the Dead's personal chef Cy Kochis and his two assistants, as well as two semi-tractor trailers of equipment and a 15-20 member road crew. Chef Cy Kochis proceeded to create a dinner of pepper steak and Dom Perignon '64 on a portable propane oven and charcoal grill in back of Reid Center. Aided by students...in the kitchen...the group enjoyed their gourmet meal in the soccer team dressing room."

      The Maroon had surprisingly detailed reports on how the concert was arranged. Although True Star Talent handled the booking, it was joined by John Scher's Monarch Talent, "the agency which handles the Dead."
      http://www.gratefulseconds.com/2017/11/colgates-homecoming-dance-with-jones.html

      Delete
  7. OK, more on fall '77 economics and Cy Kocis, from the Penn State gig on 12/11. First, for PSU the capacity was 5k, tickets were $5, so gross potential of $25k. Band got $12,500 guarantee, plus $2,500 for sound and lights, plus 70% above $21,500. Since 3,200 or so tickets sold, that premium didn't kick in.

    In terms of Cy, the Monarch cover letter asks PSU to give $600 in cash on the day of the show to the band's chef, Len (Cy) Kocis. It goes on to note, assuaging concerns they might have had that paralleled my intimations above, that Cy will "buy and prepare all food and beverages, receipt all his purchases and return all remaining monies". Sounds reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sy Kosis was (is?) a wonderful guy. He’s referenced, with the ‘Kosis’ spelling, in chapter 42 of McNally’s authorized Dead book. He worked for John Scher, so was also chef to other acts such as Bruce Springsteen. In 1978 the Dead’s contract rider asked the local promoter to provide a caterer’s assistant, and I was that guy for the 5/5/78 gig in Hanover, NH. There were things Sy taught me that day — about how to handle a knife, how to cut an onion or garlic, and more — that I still rely on every day in the kitchen. Such a great day in so many ways, and he invited me to join them for other shows. I joined Sy and the band three more times and put stories in my back pocket that still make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. More on Cy Kocis, from the Darmouth alumni magazine's article on the 5/5/78 show there. “The first band member to arrive was Jerry [Garcia]. He sauntered in, and at this point my heart’s thumping because here’s this guy who I revered and respected so much. Psy tossed me a bag of Hawaiian pot and asked if I could roll a one-paper joint—which I was capable of doing. Psy and Jerry and I smoked it together sitting at the table. I remember our conversation, because the thing that impressed me just chatting with Jerry was that he took me seriously. I mean, I was a 21-year-old kid, I was nobody, and he was an astonishingly good listener.”
    https://dartmouthalumnimagazine.com/articles/grateful-dead-dartmouth

    ReplyDelete

!Thank you for joining the conversation!