Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Reading Notes: Signpost to a New Space and Stoned Sunday Rap

These are "reading notes" - little stuff I cull when I read. I copy and paste the quotes into thematic documents (e.g., drugs.docx), so all of this has been "processed" out of the book, and up one level, into thematic or other kinds of buckets.

You may not find the quotes of greatest interest to you. Obviously I am doing this for my own purposes.





Garcia, Jerry, Charles Reich, and Jann Wenner. 2003 [1972]. Garcia: A Signpost to New Space. Cambridge, MA: Da Capo Press.

For an analysis of when the meetings recorded in the book took place, see http://jgmf.blogspot.com/2015/11/signpost-to-new-space-and-stoned-sunday.html

Garcia: "I don't think of my work as being full time work. What I'm doing is my work, but I'm playing!" (Reich 2003, xiv). #why

"One night I went to hear Jerry play a gig with Merle [sic] Saunders at a small place in Berkeley and one by one, for 'no reason', the rest of the Dead showed up too, and eventually they got on the stage and started playing. As Jerry says, they just liked to hang out together. … 'The question is, can we do it and stay high? Can we make it so our organization is composed of people who are like pretty high, who are not being controlled by their gig?'" (Reich 2003, xv).

see my analysis of possible dates for that gig:

Garcia: "he himself is a prodigious worker" (Reich 2003, xv).

"the most profound meaning of Jerry Garcia's life and art … is the commitment to growth and new possibilities, personal and artistic" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], xix).

Garcia: "It's cool with me for life or death, either one is OK … I've made my pitch, I've put my stand in for the life side of the cycle" (Reich intro to Signpost, Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], xxi).

acoustic guitar in the Army (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 5

Nick Gravenites, Nick the Greek, was around the coffeehouse scene, early 1960s (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 7)

"good times is the key to all this" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 13)

from hip teacher in the 3rd grade to weed to music to acid: "it was like a series of continually opening doors" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 19).

Garcia: the "freedom lie … the big lie is that freedom means absolutely and utterly free, and it really doesn't mean anything of the sort" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 37).

Could you handle CSNY type success? "I might be able to cope with it, but I don't think that I could be really that comfortable with it, you know, because I ... the place where I get strung out is ... is .. I'd like to be fair, you know, I want to be fair, so I don't like to pull the thing of having somebody at the door that says 'No, fuck you, you can't see Garcia' (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 48). #burden

Garcia saw Mickey Hart "last night", I infer either 10/14-15/71 at BCT (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 49).

Ripple: "The little 'ripple in still water" part is a haiku, 17 syllables" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 55) s-Ripple

#chiaroscuro: "The thing that I've been seeing since Altamont is that periodically you have darkness and periodically you have light, like the way the universe is in the yin/yang symbol. There's darkness and light and it's the interplay that represents the game we're allowed to play …" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 57) #chiaroscuro

#order-chaos: "We're trying to guide ourselves into a place where we can become more music, where we can play more music and have it get to higher places and express finer and subtler things. And that has to do with being able to more or less control the circumstances in which we're playing. And you can only play so much high music in gyms and then you're squeezing it out of yourself and it's not really happening" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 59).

Garcia solo record, he'll play all the instruments: consonance vs. dissonance: "Because it's all coming from my head, it's going to at least agree. But then you get this unified, too-much-agreement sort of sound, and you don't have that excitement of interchange" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 60).

"The whole studio trip is composing. That's why I'm doing a solo record. It's as a composer, not a performer. I'm not going to try to [61] be a band. I'm going to try to be a composer, because the 16-track is the perfect way to do it" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 60-61).

"now you can create any sound you want in a recording studio. So why not just go and do the sound that you hear in your head? It's like scratching an itch. The idea of having that complex code of writing music is so that you can get the sound in your head out, and it's a very imperfect way to do it. There's huge, big flaws in the notation system because it only tells you about pitch and meter; it doesn't tell you about the shape of a note, except in the crudest way. It just doesn't cover the amount of sounds available. Most modern composers invest their own way of writing music" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 61) #studio #ear

"Our whole trip with making records has been to learn how to make records, to learn how to deal with a tune. To be a musician means to be a composer and to be a 16-tracks recording virtuoso and so forth – it's an expanded role" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 61)

GD first record Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 62

GD 1966, second record, Phil, Healy good on his feet Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 63

"Anthem of the Sun is really the performance of an eight-track tape; Phil and I performed it and it would be like four hands and sometimes Healy would have a hand in. We'd be there hovering around the boards in these various places at Criteria Studios, Miami, and in New York" (Garcia, Reich and Wenner 2003/1972, 64).

Aoxomoxoa Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 65-67, nice praise for MOTM and DDM. "The record is one of my pets. I really like it. I was always sorry that it came out so fucked up and then didn't sell and all. It was one of our most expensive ones—it might've been the most expensive one. –how much? eighty thousand?—An easy that" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 66-67).

JGMF: "one of my pets" is an interesting expression. The Movie was, of course, another of his pets that cost them the better part of a fortune. Part of the narrative I need to weave through is the Dead's bond of brotherhood, and then some, also, obviously, business partners. My basic narrative is that Jerry considered walking away, or at least having everyone on their own bottom, in connection with the hiatus. He'd become Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter would become Robert Hunter, the Godchauxs and Weir and Hart all had to take on more for themselves. But the model failed, for all of the reasons involved with going into business for yourself, and with a future convicted felon who cut himself a $225,000 check and bailed. And in that moment, I think the GD guys, for the first time, but not for the last, carried Jerry instead of him carrying them. They threw him a life preserver, he probably needed it, let him save face, probably didn't even bust his balls too much for letting the serpent into the would-be Garden. Jerry fucked up, and I think as from 1976 he essentially parameterized his commitment to the Dead, as he had with Laird Grant and maybe a few others – he'd never seriously consider leaving the band again.

JGMF: "one of my pets" con't: In fact, expensive boondoggles were a little bit of a Garcia trademark – we could think that way about Aoxomoxoa, the Dead's Europe '74 tour, the record companies, and Egypt in 1978, in that frame. In 1973 he considered working on a screen adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut's classic Cat's Cradle (the material core of which, substance Ice Nine, furnished the name of the Dead's publishing company, run by longtime running mate and house anthropologists, Alan Trist). Four years later he'd opt instead for Vonnegut's Sirens of Titan, a project picked up and put down a number of times which remained undone at Garcia's death. Definitely the "creative type" in this respect, long on vision and balls, but implementation can be problematic. Hence the managers, accountants, lawyers, record companies, 'quippies, bodyguards, typists, and all the rest.

Live Dead Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 67

3/3/68 "It was already too late by then. That was kinda like our swan song to Haight Street. … It was really a great day, but that was the end of it" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 67).

After Aoxomoxoa, "in debt to Warner Brothers for around $180,000" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 68).

Workingman's they rehearsed for a month or so before the NO bust. January 1970? (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 68).

"we were feeling more like a good old band" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 69)

How did Lenny Hart's Perfidy affect the making of Workingman's? "The album was a tremendous joy. Being able to that was extremely positive in the midst of all this adverse stuff that was happening … It was the first record that we made together as a group, all of us" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 69).

WD and American Beauty, "It's just us, bouncing off each other. It was the first record that we made together as a group, all of us. Everybody contributed beautifully and it came off really nicely." praises songs, "that was the year we got turned onto singing" … praises the mixes [Barncard] (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 69).

Casey Jones "I always thought it's a pretty good musical picture of what cocaine is like. A little bit evil. [70] And hard-edged (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 69-70) #drugs

Workingman's stuff Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 70, brief Wally Heider's vs. PHR mention.

American Beauty Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 71. "I tried to block the whole trip out. You see, my mother died while we were making that record. And Phil's father died. It was raining down hard on us while that record was going on" (Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 71).

Skullfuck Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 71

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 72 why are you doing an album yourself?

I'm doing it to be completely self-indulgent—musically. I'm just going on a trip. I have a curiosity to see what I can do and I've a desire to get into 16-track and go on trips which are too weird for me to want to put anybody else I know through. And also to pay for this house!
Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 73 I don't want anyone to think that it's me being serious or anything like that – it's really me goofing around. I'm not trying to have my own career or anything like that. There's a lot of stuff that I feel like doing and the Grateful Dead, just by the fact that it's now a production for us to go out and play, we can't get as loose, as we had been able to, so I'm not able to stay as busy as I was. It's just a way to keep my hand in so to speak, without having to turn on a whole big scene. In the world that I live in there's the Grateful Dead, which is one unit which I'm a part of, and then there's just me. And the me that's just me, I have to keep my end up in order to be able to take care of my part of the Grateful Dead. So rather than sit home and practice – scales and stuff—which I do when I'm together enough to do it—I go out and play because playing music is more enjoyable to me than sitting around and playing scales.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 73: You've done some playing with Tom Fogerty.

The drummer in that band now plays with the Sons of Champlin, and Merle [sic] Saunders has a small recording team of his own as well as composes and I'm going to gig with them. It's that kind of thing – a loose hangout.

Q: even though you tour a lot, you still do a lot of playing outside the band, like with Merle [sic] Saunders.

Yeah, I still do that. I hope to do a few gigs with Howard. It's just that I love music. I love an opportunity to go out and play. I'm a total junkie when it comes to playing. I just have to play. And when we're off the road, I get itchy, and a bar's like the perfect opportunity to get loose, and play all night or whatever's comfortable. With guys that are good players, Merle [sic] or Howard or anything, it's always a complete open jam scene.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 73 Q Could you ever play with another group?

If I had another life to live, I could. Just like I could dig playing with Howard for a long time, or Merle [sic], all those guys. I enjoy [74] playing and if I had more of me to go out and play those gigs, I'd do it immediately.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 74 Q The Howard Wales record came out really nice.

It came out pretty successfully. It could have come out better. It could have come out really fine, in my opinion. I'm talking about the way it fell together, because none of the material was written or anything. We either worked it out in the studio or it was totally improvised; like "South Side Strut" is just a jam, it's a thin which just happened, with all those changes and horn parts, we did it all live. It was very loose, but the results came out remarkably sophisticated.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 74-75 business disorganization. Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 75 JG We didn’t give a shit. We were just happy freaks, man, we didn't know anything about money, or bills, or anything of the rest of that stuff.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 75 ironically or not Lenny was the one who first really tried to get them organized. Maybe so he could rip them off better. #Lenny Hart

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 75 Q What happened at the Carousel? #v-Carousel

The cat that owned the place was overcharging, from what I understand. At the time Ron Rakow was running the Carousel Ballroom and he got called 'mismanager' and all the rest of that, stuff, but in reality there was no way to make it work. … It was a great scene, even though it failed"

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 76 Lenny Hart said "OK, boys, I'll take care of you," and we thought, "Ah, at least here's a manager that we don't have to worry about, he's an old business man and he's Mickey's father, well, we can trust him, of course we can trust him, you know, he's his father.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 76 Sam Cutler had come back to the US after having gone through the Altamont scene and he was looking for something to do – he came and hung out at my house for awhile … Sam started looking into it and they discovered that Lenny had really been taking a lot of money … Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 77 we were recording Workingmans Dead when we actually fired Lenny; we'd just been busted in New Oreland and things were looking heavy, this New Orleans threat hanging over our heads … [Ramrod said it's him or me, they got rid of Lenny]

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 78 says last time they talked [July 1971] there was talk about "starting a small record company". is that still real?

JG: "It's as real as it was then, that is to say, it still depends on … getting out of our present contract, or it expiring. … See, Grunt Records is still RCA. … It's not truly independent. And our fantasy is to be completely independent if we can do it.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 78 [WB is not that bad] I don't object to the idea of record companies at all, in fact, record companies are good.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 79 [don’t want to compete with record cos, just put out their own stuff.] All we're trying to do is survive and be independent.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 80 we don't have to be a crashing huge success … the idea would be to keep it marginal so we don't have to escalate our trip.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 81 Q about the California Book of the Dead, which Garcia addresses rather obliquely. What is this?

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 82 The question is, can we do it and stay high?

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 83 discussion of 6/21/71 his recollections

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 84 Q about touring, he uses spring '71 as reference: It's getting trickier and trickier to do it, it's getting harder and harder. In Boston we played for two nights and even so there were still about three or four thousand people outside each night that weren't able to get in because the place was sold out, and the police maced them and did all that … I mean you being to wonder why you're doing it if what you're doing is leading people into a trap.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 84 Q on playing with NRPS and GD

Playing the pedal steel is not much physical exertion; you just sit down, and it's all very close work. It's more like working out with a sewing machine than it is standing up and playing ball, which is the way playing guitar is. It's not such a totally physical trip. It's little motions. So it's easy for me to sit down and play the pedal steel, I can play it for eight hours in a row without hardly noticing it. But the New Riders are trying to find another steel player, so they can tour more independently.

Q about Altamont Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 86-87

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 87 "you can't put that out without it turning up on you somewhere"

Q why Altamont?

A friend of mine, Steve Gaskin, capsulized it better than I ever could … 'Altamont was the little bit of sadism in your sex life, that the Rolling Stones put out in their music, coming back. It was the karma of putting that out for all those years, it was that little bit of red and black.'

p88 Q do you accept that little bit of evil in life?

Well, it's there, whether you accept it or not.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 89-90 more Altamont

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 90 Q If Wild West had happened, hadn't been brought down … then Altamont would've never happened the way it did.

JG: kind of demurs. "We blew it."

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 90 Q What happened to Janis?
#drugs
JG: I think it was a mistake; I think it was an accident, like driving your car off the road. [Interesting: that's what killed Jerry's mom.] I don't think that there was any why to it, really. She prpbably hadn't had smack for awhile or something like that. She probably had a few drinks or something after a gig, coming back to the hotel, take a hit and on out, go to sleep for the night, and it was probably more than she expected and she just died. That's how easily it can happen, it can happen to anybody if you don't know what you're getting, and that's the way it is when you're having to deal with things that are illegal.

[91] I think that it's the law that killed Janis, if anything killed her, because she couldn't go and get exactly the right hit for herself of exactly the proper purity in a drug store and do herseulf up; she wouldn't be dead now. … I don't think that fame killed her, I don't think that being a celebrity killed her. She just accidentally, like cutting yourself with a razor or something, just accidentally died.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 91 Q: And Jim Morrison?

It's just everybody dies. He was a musician, and that's the only reason people are talking about him dying. If Jim Morrison had been anybody else, nobody would be talking about Jim Morrison dying. And that's the same with every other musician. Statistically, people die, and that's all.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 91 Q: what do you listen to? A: I listen to all kinds of stuff, just all kinds of stuff.

Q: Do you listen to the Band's records?

Paraphrasing: I listen and think they're getting repetitive, but then "after a few weeks it starts creeping into the back of my mind and I start thinking 'Wow, what was that tune?' And I go and find the record and put it on. It's like scratching an itch." NB Jerry loved the sound of RR's guitar, like in Going, Going Gone

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 91 which tunes on the new [Band record] do you like?

JG: "I love 'Life Is A Carnival' – that's beautiful. Shit, that's great. All the stuff in there, all those great parts. The Dylan song is great, too. [I Shall Be Released] I love that song. I'll probably sing that with the barroom band."

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 92 Q You like Robbie Robertson?

Yeah, yeah, I went and visited with him one day, when we were on the East Coast. And I really dug being able to sit down and talk to him. It was just like that kinda stuff you do where you've never met anybody before, but you know what they do, and you respect them. We were both kinda there cause we'd been on that tour-we'd met before, actually-on that tour with Janis, that Canada thing. We got off on their music, of course, and they dug our music, 'cause really, they're kinda similar. We just have slightly different viewpoints of an almost similar trip.

When I got together with him, we were talking on pretty groovy grounds, in terms of mutual respect and understanding. It was good. We talked about guitars, and pianos, and music ... and I went over and dug his studio. Just a friendly scene. It's one of those things that sometime in the future, I'd love to be able to spend some time and actually work with those guys, actually play music together with them, under some circumstances or another.

How would you describe his guitar playing?

He's one of those guys who descended from Roy Buchanan and those Fifties Fender-pickers. I can hear where he's picked up a lotta his stuff. His approach to it is more or less orchestral. The kinda stuff he plays and the music, is like punctuation, and structural. He's an extremely subtle and refined guitar player, that's the way I think of him. I really admire him.

How would you describe your own guitar playing?

I don't know. I would describe my own guitar playing as descended from barroom rock and roll, country guitar. Just 'cause that's where all my stuff comes from. It's like that blues instrumental stuff that was happening in the late Fifties and early Sixties, like Freddie King.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 93 #influences

When I get ready to go on the road, I make up cassettes of all my favorite music. Country and Western stuff. Just whatever. Ali Akbar Khan. Crosby, Stills and Nash.

Any English groups?

Beatles.

They're not an English group …

I don't really like the English bands too much. A few of the older ones, yeah. Traffic is good, Stevie Winwood is great. Some of them I enjoy listening to, but I don't enjoy them in the sense of the soul. There's something that I listen to music for which … Neil Young has it, but Elton John doesn't, for me. It's well-executed and everything, it's good music, but it just has to do with how it makes feel. I love American music. I love Indian music, too. I even love English music. Actually, there's a lotta English stuff which I like a lot, but I'm just tending to be general. You know what I think of as being the English sound, the real sound, is like Pentangle. Pentangle, to my ears, is the English sound, because it's very much that sort of madrigal, Elizabethan thing, very crisp. Economical. But it's not in any of the trends. It's more basic.

Other rock and roll bands?

I like Crosby. Stills and Nash and all the various elements that they do, their solo trips. I like Neil Young's stuff a lot, it's real great. I like his sensibilities. The Band, I love the band, I really like the way they play, and their idea of what music is, is really neat to me. Crosby, Still and Young are into a political bag, which I don't like that much. But their singing's so good, their whole thing is. They're entertainers. Crosby's such an incredible ham, a ShowBiz guy, but it's alright. Their singing is strong. Their whole musical scene is so together. It comes across really well.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 94

"I talked to Crosby today. … Steven is an extreme dude. He's a guy who goes too far, all the time. Takes a lot of drugs, stretches his mind out a lot, he's into some kind of complex, competition scene with his father. Something which you and I couldn't know about, really. He's too far ahead. But he's a good dude, he's got a good head. I respect him and dig him. He's not any kind of asshole or anything, even when it seems like he might be. They're all real good guys. Graham Nash is a fine guy. Crosby's a good old happy California hippie, L.A. version.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 94 says Croz helped with his singing. "I think that nothing really communicates like the human voice.

It is really the ultimate instrument. I used to think of myself as a guitar player but hearing singing, and seeing it up close, has kinda made me want to sing a lot; it just makes me want to do it, I don't really know what it is . . . and it's real satisfying to sing. I've always gotten off on a good singer, and that's what I'm basin' it on.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 94  Q Did the group called Planet Earth ever turn out anything?

No. Everybody is off on their own trips still. It'll probably happen one of these times, it's a question of timing. Everything that I've ever done on anybody else's record has been a matter of timing, we're both in the same town.

That's part of where our music wants to go, but it's record companies and the music business structure that's making it that difficult. It should be possible for everybody to do everything, especially in music, where music can only get better when people get together in different combinations. But record companies wanta be exclusive. They're getting looser and looser and hopefully the thing could get [95] loose enough where everybody could do whatever they want. That would be ideal.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 95 what guitarists have you learned from the most?

A: I think Freddie King is the guy I learned the most volume of stuff from. When I started playing electric guitar the second time, with the Warlocks, it was a Freddie King album that I got almost all my ideas off of, his phrasing really. That first one, Here's Freddie King, later it came out as Freddie King Plays Sutfin' Music or something like that, it has "San-Ho-Zay" on it and "Sensation" and all those instrumentals.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 95 Q when did you begin playing pedal steel?

Pedal steel was an instrument that was on my mind since back in the days when I was a banjo player. I didn't think that I wanted to get that serious about it because I knew it was extremely difficult and that I'd have to spend a lot of time to actually get into it. It's so difficult, man, and my playing is so mediocre I can't begin to tell you how embarrassed I am about my playing on the damn thing, really, it's lamentable. Oh, I get off on it's really fun, but that doesn't mean that I can do it well; it's kinda like standing up on a pair of skates, it makes you happy.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 95 what new things have you heard?

I'll tell you what I've heard lately that I really like a lot, these two kids in Stinson Beach, the Rowan Brothers, Chris and Lorin Rowan. I love their music. Me and Kreutzmann and Phil have been doing some sessions with them because Dave Grisman, who's one of their managers, is an old friend of ours from bluegrass days (he's the guy that plays mandolin on American Beauty, there's some nice mandolin on "Friend of the Devil" and that, a real good musician). And these two kids –one of them's nineteen, and the other's twenty two- from New England-just write some really really pretty music and soulful songs, really high. It's fantastic, their music is just sparkly, brand-new, shiny. That's like the latest turn-on for me. They're super, and they're right at that point of just starting out and nobody knows about them. I hate to see them go into the music [96] business; I wish somebody could just say, "Here, man, here's $5000 so you can live for another six months without having to sell out. "The music is too good for it. They could be, given the proper kind of exposure and stuff like that, they could be like the Beatles. They're that good, their music is that good."

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 96 how do you stay so high? #drugs

I smoke a lot of dope. … would you like some?

"one man's poison is another man's dope"

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 97 how do you manage to stay so optimistic?

Music is a thing that has optimism built into it. Optimism is another way of saying "space." Music has infinite space. You can go as far into music as you can fill millions of lifetimes. Music is an infinite cylinder, it's open-ended, it's space. The form of music has infinite space as a part of it and that, in itself, means that its momentum is essentially in that open place.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 98

"music can contain all of it. It can contain your bummers, it can contain your depressions, it can contain the black despair, man, it can contain the whole spectrum. The blues is a perfect example. The blues is that very effect, operating in a very sublime way. You hardly ever hear anybody say they're depressed because they've heard a lot of music. That's a pretty good example, right there. Even the worst music-the poorest, baddest, most illthought- of music on earth-doesn't hurt anybody.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 98 JG says he loves Lennon's album

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 100

The GD is not for cranking out rock 'n' roll, it's not for going out and doing concerts or any of that stuff, I think it's to get high.

To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. That's why I think it's important to get high.

I'm not talking about unconscious or zonked out, I'm talking about being fully conscious. Also I'm not talking about the Grateful Dead as being an end in itself. I don't think of that highness as being an end in itself. I think of the Grateful Dead as being a crossroads or a pointer sign and what we're pointing to is that there's a lot of universe available, that there's a whole lot of experience available over here. We're kinda like a signpost, and we're also pointing to danger, to difficulty, we're pointing to bummers. We're pointing to whatever there is, when we're on- when it's really happening.

You're a signpost to new space?

pGarcia et al. 2003 [1972], 109ff – part 2 – A stoned Sunday rap. My notes on timing: ca. 6 mos. after first interview published in RS. Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 180 Owsley still in the joint. 205 Europe trip still in future tense. 217 Ace almost done. 225 tonight, mixing Bobby's album.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 112 Alan Trist" JG: "He's a fantastic guy"

JG con't "I'm only one component of the Grateful Dead, I'm an equal unity with everybody else in it and everybody else is really far out, you know what I mean? Like Alan [Trist], man, Alan is fantastic, he's like some kind of cosmic diplomat. He's a guy that there isn't anybody; there's no way that ou can dislike him, you know what I mean, he never disturbs any karma, ever. He's fantastic, really man. … Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 113 I've known Alan since he was eighteen and he and I met down in Palo Alto.

pGarcia et al. 2003 [1972], 114-115 Garcia refers twice to a big pivot "two months ago" when he decided "yeah, OK, I'll do it. Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 115: "I've gone a lot of places not deciding and not choosing and not, and not willing in any way, you know what I mean … it's like up until like two months ago everything's been free form, I've been improvising, I've been taking it as it comes."

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 116 JG "I've always been in reserve in terms of, you know, whether I'm going to run full out and use it all or whether I'm going to, you known, lay back and see what happens, and I've been laying back to see what happens for a long time now I feel like, you know, but see, like, the whole Grateful Dead thing has been kind of like, ah, you know, like waking up, you know what I mean, it's like ah, you know ah, ah ha, here we are. It's drying out he wings and all that wrrr, you know, looking around.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 134 I could draw you … a picture of the GD, man. It's got like six or seven weird legs, mismatched pairs, and one moth-eaten eagle wing and one bat wing, and it snorts fire and it's cross-eyed … and it jumps up and kicks around and laughs real loud.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 137 MG to Annabelle: "You're the noisiest little kid I've ever known."

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 180 MG: "Anybody want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? JG: "No thanks, too dry." He asks for a cup of tea.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 182 MG to CR: "you mustn't care whether it's a joke or not. You know, if in doubt, take it as a joke."

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 183 PB&Js arrive

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 197 JG "I feel like life is what's happening, so I want to do what I can on the life-side of the whole life-death cycle"

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 1977 JG: "I resent having to use what I could use for tripping out … to work on stuff." artistic freedom. JG more talk about commitment in life. Two months ago, Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 198.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 198 ."… life or death, either one is okay. … but I've made my pitch, I've put my stand in for the life side of the cycle."

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 205 MG has gone down to town to buy Jerry some cigarettes, and brings back some sunflower seeds.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 212-214 Annabelle is eating sunflower seeds, putting lots of honey in a tea cup. Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 214 she dumps something. Jerry stokes the fire.

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 209 discussion about food: "I don't really care about food. I'm not really into my physical self very much at all … some day I'll pay for it."

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 223 MG brings in some flowers, candy-striped camellias

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 224 JG "Ozzie and Harriet consciousness"

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 229 "I'll eat anything equally and with little relish or with none at all. That's from years of smoking and, you know, beatnik living, you know, crackers and …"

Garcia et al. 2003 [1972], 229 more food talk, JG mentions yogurt, MG: Did I hear a call for yogurt? I have some yogurt. [turns out Jerry did slyly eat a half a pb&j.]

REFERENCES
! ref: Garcia, Jerry, Charles Reich, and Jann Wenner. 2003 [1972]. Garcia: A Signpost to New Space. Cambridge, MA: Da Capo Press.
! ref: Reich, Charles. 2003 [1972]. Introduction. In Garcia, Reich and Wenner 2003 [1972], xi-xxi.
! ref: Wenner, Jann. 2003 [1972]. Foreword. In Garcia, Reich and Wenner 2003 [1972], vii-x.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder what happened around the start of 1972 that made Garcia feel he was finally deciding to commit himself to the Dead. Unfortunately he talks about it only very loosely (it's a stoned rap, after all!) - and as Reich says, "It's like if you'd been a doctor for 15 years and then you decided that you were going to be a doctor." (p.115)
    It may not be connected to any actual event that we can trace, maybe just a shift in Garcia's attitude that no one else would have noticed... Or it could have been just a stoned thought that meant nothing at all except in his mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone know where the tapes of these interviews are? It would make an amazing audiobook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great question. You might try to ping Ben Fong-Torres.

    ReplyDelete

!Thank you for joining the conversation!