Sunday, January 17, 2010

JGMS: July 11, 1973, Keystone, Berkeley, CA

A while back I did a little miniseries linking the July 1973 Jerry Garcia/Merl Saunders shows at Keystone Berkeley to the official releases. I did it from the show perspective and from the album perspective. I.e.,

July 10, 1973: what goes on which albums;
Live at Keystone, vol. 1 (CD): which songs come from which dates;
Live at Keystone, vol. 2 (CD): which songs come from which dates;
Live at Keystone, Encores (CD): which songs come from which dates

Looks like I forgot to turn it around for July 11th, so I'll do that here. Here is where 7/11 songs ended up on the CD releases, based on the most complete circulating copy of the show.

--Set I--
It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry (1)
Finders Keepers (1)
One Kind Favor (3)
That's Alright Mama (2*)
My Funny Valentine (2)
(MISSING I Second That Emotion)
(MISSING Money Honey)

--Set II--
(MISSING Someday Baby)
Harder They Come (4)
Merl's Tune (1**)
Like a Road Leading Home (2)
How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) (3)

 - The parenthesized numbers refer to officially released (CD) material:
(1) appears on Live at the Keystone, vol. 1 (Fantasy FCD 7701-2)
(2) appears on Live at the Keystone, vol. 2 (Fantasy FCD 7702-2)
(3) appears on Keystone Encores (Fantasy FCD 7703-2)
(4) not on any of the releases
- * TAM on the album comes in at 5:19 of this version.
- ** Merl's Tune from 6:27-10:11 on this version supplies the "Space" track on volume 1 of the official releases.

2 comments:

  1. The Merl Saunders & Friends "Keepers" CD has a live version of "I Was Made To Love Her" that it attributes to a July '73 date at the Keystone.
    ...but I don't see it on either the 10th or 11th setlists. Any idea where it's really from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an excellent question. So, it's not on the complete box set for the 10th and 11th? They also played 7/7/73 at Keystone, but as far as I know Betty did not tape that one. Maybe the Fantasy vaults hold tapes of that show!

    ReplyDelete

!Thank you for joining the conversation!