I'll start with my confusion surrounding the venue for the Saturday, August 24, 1974 Jerry Garcia/Merl Saunders gig, identifed as having taken place at the Great American Music Hall (GAMH).
Here is what three good sources of local listings show at the GAMH on Saturday, August 24, 1974:
- Hayward Daily Review, August 23, 1974, p. 44 (calendar listing): JGMS
- Berkeley Barb, August 23-29, 1974, p. 24 (calendar): Max Collie's Rhythm Aces
- San Francisco Phoenix, August 29, 1974, p. 9 (display ad): Max Collie's Rhythm Aces
- Oakland Tribune, August 23, 1974, p. 19 ("Weekend Scene" calendar): JGMS
My confusion was heightened by a reference to an Ethiopian famine relief concert at Berkeley Community Theater on this date (1), but this clearly seems like a misprint and refers to the Friday, August 23rd concert at that venue and it no longer concerns me (though it is slightly odd).
A recording (one cassette gen off the 10" master reels, presumably taped by Betty) circulates as GAMH, so I guess we should continue to believe that JGMS played the GAMH on 8/24 and remain agnostic about Max Collie's whereabouts.
(1) UPI, "Ethiopians cite famine," Hayward Daily Review, August 22, 1974, p. 37.