Friday, November 28, 2014

Race Record Dream


Rolling Stone has just posted a little gallery of Garcia's art. Given finity, I will only scratch the surface of the paintings and drawings.

But, since race is one of the threads I am trying to weave through my (amateur!) musicological excursions, and it crossed my screen, I thought I'd reproduce it here.

This is "Race Record Dream": "A representation of a dream that Jerry had in which he and John Kahn played with Robert Johnson in the days when the music of black musicians was sold as 'race records.' Here the three are together in a dreamy cloud with their instruments and a crank record player."

I also love Jerry dreaming himself in a Django Reinhardt/Hot Club kind of look - wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!Thank you for joining the conversation!