Wednesday, August 23, 2017

E72 post 17

The big jam of 5/24/72 didn't slay me, but I have to apply the normal caveats. I may not have been paying a ton of attention.

The Lovelight didn't go anywhere or do anything. Pig is totally out of gas. He never even tells us 'bout his baby, how come she make him feel so good.

5/25/72 struck me as kind of a mess, with lots of lyrical issues for Bob and Jerry in the first set. Bob can't remember Promised Land, Jerry turns China Cat around.

Good Lovin' again lacks any Pig rap. *sigh*

Uncle John's sounds sweet, Wharf Rat wants to be Dark Star at first (I think Denver '73 is another example of how those songs could have been brothers from another mother, in some ways), and, after it Dark Star indeed emerges. This one struck me as average for the tour, some good upbeat bits, so maybe a bit above average (high bar, though). SOTOTW is always good, and I loves me some standalone GDTRFB.

5/26, last night of the tour, sounds peppy out of the gate, as the horse starts smelling the barn. Set I ends with a wonderful moment, the London crowd clapping the NFA beat (before it would become a Deadhead cliché), and the band responding with a very enthusiastic NFA > GDTRFB > NFA.

The big jam is queued up for this morning's commute. The next number, famously, "rose straight to the top of the charts in Turlock, California", and Bob continues, "They love us in Turlock, and we love them for that."

By today's commute home, I'll be done with the tour. It's been a great ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!Thank you for joining the conversation!