Sunday, August 02, 2020

I don't do a lot of Weir talk

But man, I do love this guy. We are such fortunate fans to have such smart and literate artists in our lives!

Quote from a recent interview about his songwriting, which I recommend. One bigger point, one smaller point.
I take the dream seriously. That’s all I can say. They’re very real. It’s not just brain chatter. There’s chatter involved in your daily thinking, that’s all. But you know how people say it’s just a dream, it’s just a dream. There is no such thing. Dreams are every bit as real as any other part of your body. 

Getting in touch with that, being in touch with that dream world, is a lifelong pursuit. As you’re younger, you can train yourself to get better at it as you get older. Not just for art, but for any sort of endeavor. There’s a lot that dreams can tell you.
Smaller point: He drew inspiration from Of Mice and Men in writing Jack Straw. Maybe you all knew that, but I did not.

6 comments:

  1. What do you make of this comment in the story?

    "Like 'Thanksgiving,' we all co-wrote that."

    I can't recall any GD songs by that name, or even anything that sounds a little bit like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure there are little fragments of things that have yet to emerge. Like those Warlocks or early GD setlists that just emerged from some of Pigpen's stuff, 47 years after his passing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered if it was just a transcription mistake for Truckin'. I'm not sure Weir would even remember some lost song from 1965.
    A 'Nickelwood Blues' is mentioned as his first song, "a rewrite of an old jug band standard," but I'm pretty sure Weir actually said Minglewood Blues, for which he added a bunch of new verses that weren't in the original(s).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Given the context and the other transcription error (Minglewood), I was thinking "Thanksgiving" is most likely St Stephen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good guess, I think you might be right. Zollo must not be very familiar with Dead songs!
      What part Weir might have had in composing St. Stephen is a mystery, though, since he's not credited. Phil recalled writing the music with just Jerry.

      Delete

!Thank you for joining the conversation!