Tuesday, August 06, 2019

GD at Freeborn Hall: Friday, October 28, 1966

This is out of my wheelhouse, but since it brings together two loose ends for me I thought I'd post it here.

The Sacramento Bee of 10/23/66 p. W14 has a piece on upcoming homecoming events at Cal Aggie, i.e., UC Davis.

The Grateful Dead are scheduled to play Freeborn Hall Friday 10/28/66, Yellow Brick Road also on the bill.

This ties two things I have discussed here.

First, having gone to Campolindo HS in Moraga, I always wondered why the GD canceled their scheduled gig at little St. Mary's College on this Friday night (10/28/66). I still don't know why, but at least I see that the band played a different gig. Maybe the pay was better.

Second, years back I found a Dead gig at Freeborn on January 6, 1967 which said that the last time they played Freeborn, the GD played to a full house. But there was no "last time" in the record at that point. Now there is: 10/28/66. Add it to your lists.

1 comment:

  1. According to the 4-11-67 Cal Aggie, the Dead got $800 for the 10-28-66 and a nice 25% increase to $1,000 for the 1-6-67 show. There's a nice little school committee profit analysis there. http://www.gratefulseconds.com/2020/06/uc-davis-aggie-archive-hits-online-and.html?m=0

    ReplyDelete

!Thank you for joining the conversation!