Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Tighten Up

The "Tighten Up" jam has always been a favorite. I am partial to the 1/2/70 and 10/31/71 versions, always wondered where the heck that last one came from since it's so well-developed while not having been played in well over a year (and never before with Keith, AFAIK).

Just here to note that the wonderful jam out of the wonderful 7/17/76 Comes A Time has a little Tighten Up feel to my ears. It never really lands on it, but it sure sounds similar. Very nice.

https://archive.org/details/gd1976-07-17.141966.ecm270.menke-miller.flac1644

! seealso: LIA

3 comments:

  1. I'll just note that lately I've become convinced that the actual tune the Dead are "quoting" in this jam isn't Tighten Up, but Soulful Strut:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX1XSOzDPik
    I've left the name as the 'Tighten Up jam' since that's how it's been known for years, but in future I'll be calling it the Soulful Strut jam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't that version, might not have been that tune. I have been listening to an amazing youtube channel full of soul-funk-jazz-R&B, and a tune came up, might have been Soulful Strut, and I thought it was just like Tighten Up.

      Delete
  2. F me. I swear I heard this just the other day and thought the same thing.

    ReplyDelete

!Thank you for joining the conversation!